What should I eat during periods to avoid weakness and pain? (Diet Query)

I am a 22-year-old girl and I feel extremely fatigued and weak during my periods. I lose my appetite and do not eat much. I also have cramps during my menstrual cycle. Can you suggest the right diet for me so that I can survive those days of the month better? Please help.
Weakness during periods is not uncommon especially during the first and second days. Many women find themselves feeling fatigued very soon and this is mostly due to the hormonal change and loss of blood. It is important to go easy on these days but the right foods can certainly give you more energy and nutrition to your body. Here’s what dietician Neha Chandna suggests.
The best way to keep your energy levels up during periods is to eat foods which give you natural sugars such as bananas, dates, grapes, mangoes, etc. Apart from these foods, whole grains like oats, jowar, ragi, brown rice also help provide a great deal of energy. Sprouts and salads should also be a part of your diet.
Foods to beat menstrual pain and cramps
Foods which increase the alkalinity in the body are the best to keep the pain away. Include foods like fruits, lemons, dried fruits like anjeer, raisins, prunes, nuts, salads, veggies and veg juices/coconut water. Also try these yoga asanas to beat pain.
Sample diet during periods
  • Morning: fruits + dried fruits
  • Mid morning: brown rice poha/oats upma/idli/dosa
  • Lunch: salads + 1 jowar/ragi roti/ 1 cup brown rice + veggies+ dal
  • Mid noon: nuts
  • Evening: sprouts/chana chaat
  • Dinner: soup + salad + veggies
Make sure you drink enough water throughout the day to keep yourself hydrated. Water also helps relieve pain. If the pain is unbearable, you can also try these tried-and-tested tips.

Comments